Monday, June 13, 2011

WOOFSTOCK TORONTO 2011: ONCE AGAIN THIS BLOG GOES TO THE DOGS

When does caring for your dog become over indulgence? Sometimes that determination is subjective; some people allow their pets on the furniture, we do. Some will tell you that permitting the dog on the couch puts you at their level instead of clearly demarking the ling between human and dog. Valid argument but I feel I do enough in that area to establish my dominance so to speak. Mostly, though, people just can't deal with the idea of sitting on dog hair. I'm used to sitting on hair, usually my own, it's not a problem.

This brings us to Woofstock. No, that is not the remembrance of the Woodstock Music Festival by an old hippie who's brain has been addled by overindulging in the smoking of red oger dogwood (it doesn't work .. or so I've heard)

Woofstock is a celebration of all things canine, held in several cities around the world and bi-annually here in Toronto. It has been running for several years and is quite popular be we've never before attended.

We did not take the girls. Held in the homey St Lawrence Market district, I knew that the festival would attract tens of thousands of people on a sunny Sunday (sunny Sunday, don't you love when that works out that way) in an area of closed off streets where they would have to be on leash ... not really an enjoyable past time for a pair of border collies who would much rather be off leash and running someplace, any place, fast.

But I had heard that were many vendors there, all in one location, selling their wares cheap and it was a nice day to and mingle with some dogs

There is a stage at Woofstock where people perform goofy dog tricks and display canine fashion. Now goofy dog tricks I can dig. I think all dog tricks are or should be goofy. That's what a trick is, just something silly, like a high five or playing dead or catching treats off their own nose. Tricks are different from discipline. Tricks are just for fun and to help develop a bond between you and your dog. Anytime I spend with the girls, giving them attention, is good for all of us

Doggie fashion is something else. I don't include warm jackets and boots in this; we live in Canada and some short haired breeds need a little help to enjoy the climate. Fashion is different. Fashion is putting angel wings on your dog, or dressing them in costumes.

I mentioned over indulgence. There you go.

Mostly we wandered around, picking up the doggie essentials; chuckit balls, poop bags, treats, some homeopathic meds for Hayley's arthritis and just having fun meeting the mutts and watching them play and interact.

I've gone to the dogs. How happy am I now.

NOTE: There is a video that goes with this blog but Blogger seems to be having a problem with my embed code and is garbling the video. Until I get things worked out follow this link to the video



No comments:

Top Blogs Pets

Add to Technorati Favorites