Monday, August 10, 2015

THE SUM OF ALL PARTS MAKES WHITE BOYS WANNA DANCE

Plans. You make em. Sometimes you wonder why Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not so much. It's all about expectations

This past weekend Collette and I headed downtown to attend the Lovin Local Food Festival. Food fests run amok in this city, there's about 12 (it seems) every week, all year long. Yeh, cuz you know, we gots a lot of foodies in our city, many of whom fall under the sobriquet MMTB .. more money than brains

Me, I ain't no foodie. But I do like me some vittles. However, we don't attend many of these food fests, mostly because they charge you 20 bucks to get in then charge you for the food. That be double dipping and don't just mean in the chip dip

But last weekend we went out to Woodbine Park for a free Food Truck Festival that featured 40 trucks, a beer tent, wine etc and charged us nary a dime. We'd never before been to this Lovin Local fest but it was also free and it was in Younge Dundas Square, a great location right downtown

Well, we didn't end up eating anything there. There were only a few food stalls, none of which were terribly exciting .. get what you pay for, eh. But the the folks from Muskoka brewery were present and it followed the new trend of licensing the entire venue

Yeh. Summer . Beer. Nuthin more to say there is there

But there was one very pleasant surprise, one that we did not plan for. Several years ago, down at the Harbourfront Centre we encountered, quite by accident, a band from Vancouver that on the surface I should have no interest in. They played a fusion of Indian bhangra music, Celtic, dubstep and electronic DJ. Yeh, you know, I've done a lot of Indian weddings and while I've always admired the stamina and enthusiasm of the drummers, it's really not my style and I is too old and white to be a hip hop fan

But ...

This band is called Delhi 2 Dublin and we liked them when we saw them years ago and liked them even more when we saw them over the weekend


 The whole fusion thing works here, I never would have thought of combining Indian drums with Irish fiddle but hey, what do I know


Combine with that some very animated and passionate vocals and a searing guitar, you have a perfect afternoon on Yonge St



They are a great live outfit. This was a free event downtown and I'm sure a lot of this audience had no idea who these guys are but I think that very quickly changed. Many of the band's lyrics have a message but essentially, I think, this is a dance band and it's pretty difficult not to fall under the spell


Check it out for yourself

Delhi 2 Dublin at Food Festival from Victor Kellar on Vimeo.

No comments:

Top Blogs Pets

Add to Technorati Favorites