Friday, October 3, 2008

AUDIE MURPHY LIVES

Just a quick post about a little in-blog phenomenon I've noticed. Recently I wrote this post about tracking those who visit this site and the searches that bring them here. As an after thought, I mentioned my Audie Murphy post that had attracted some attention. Since that time I've noticed that Audie seems to be a pretty popular search topic. I have even had a comment from an Audie fan to my post, something I very much appreciate.

In the last 15 days or so, search engines have directed six different people to this site, searching for Audie Murphy. For the amount of traffic I get, that is a pretty significant number. Not totally shocking; Murphy was the most decorated American soldier in WW II and I understand that his exploits are still being taught in the U.S. armed forces. From an historical or military point of view, Murphy is a pretty important figure. What does surprise me somewhat is the number of Europeans who are searching for Audie; mind you, he fought in the European conference so he has some significance there. I wonder how popular a film actor he is in Europe. Primarily a cowboy star, Murphy seems like such an "American" icon.

Audie's war record gets more searches than his movie career but there are still fans of his films out there. Considering that Murphy mostly made Drive-in style B westerns, and his last real film was released in 1967, I find it rather heartening that Audie's movies still live. We can give a lot of thanks to DVDs of course and maybe even eBay.

The searches that have brought people to my original Murphy post are varied; at least two different people were searching for memorabilia, particularly his holsters and his pistols. There are the military searches of course, particularly his medals and one that was looking for the kind of tank destroyer he .... well .. destroyed. Searches about his family and searches about some of the darker aspects of his personal life; there were rumours of drug abuse and a story about Audie beating up some guy and what that may or may not have been about.

In the short history of my blog, Audie searches are right up at the top, behind dogs/dog parks and ... well .. hairy stuff. Let's not discuss this last one, it is, frankly, a little disturbing. So all I wanted to say is: Audie lives. Go check him out, if you are a military buff, read up about the battle for which he receive the Congressional Medal of Honour. For sure, check out his movies. Sure many of them are little unpretentious western adventure stories (for me, that sounds pretty much perfect) but he was an actor capable of humour, humanity and he really could carry a movie.

I will be very curious to see if my recent Paul Newman post gets the same number of hits. Paul was certainly the bigger star and objectively the bigger actor. But Paul has just left our eyes and there is lots of material readily available. Audie is a more historical character and literally so, in terms of his military career.

So rock on, Audie, rock on all you Audie fans. Let's keep the tough little Texan alive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Audie Murphy still has fans all over the world. He has a beautiful statue taken from the movie "To Hell and Back" at the Audie Murphy/American Cotton Museum in Greenville, Texas, which claims him as their own. There is an Audie Murphy Days celebration there every year in June, and people from as far away as Sweden have attended. If you want to find any information on him, go to http://www.audiemurphy.com. Read the postings on the guest book and you will see how respected and loved he still is to this day. You can see a picture of the statue at http://www.cottonmuseum.com.

Victor Kellar said...

Thanks for commenting. Yes, I am learning how popular Audie is to this day .... just afer writing this post, they showed "Seven Ways From Sundown" on TV

I would love to visit the statue in Texas some day

Shirley Jean Paulk said...

Hello Victor, I too am an Audie Murphy Fan. Have been most of my life. And yes one of the great things about the internet is that someone such as "Murphy" can live on in perpetuity. Thanks for the kind comments on him, his fans appreciate this. I was just at the
Audie Murphy Cotton Museum this past June for Audie Murphy Days celebration. I have never felt so welcomed by a group of people in my life. They are simply wonderful and it almost gives one hope that the USA, and small town America is still alive and thriving. Not only did I get a chance to be part of the celebration, but I also traveled to his home in Hollywood, and saw his star on the Walk of Fame, visited Tucson Film Factory where he filmed 3 of his westerns, also traveled to Virginia to Brush Mountain to see the monument there and where his plane crashed and finally got to Washington D.C. to visit his grave in Arlington. On the way home we also stopped at a little town called Lone Pine California where he also filmed several more westerns. It to me was a vacation of a lifetime and I
shall never forget it or the man who's life I was researching. May
he now rest in peace, and may we as a nation ever forget this humble
great man.

Top Blogs Pets

Add to Technorati Favorites