Sunday, July 31, 2011

ICELAND: DAY NINE

Our last full day in Iceland. Yes, you may sigh. I will even permit you a pout. Please do it now. You will not be allowed to do it later.



All done? Swell. Let's move on



Collette and I considered booking a day tour from here in Reykjavik, either another whale watching trip or a voyage to the Westman Islands, a place of which we have heard much but have never visited ... well that voyage is not available on a Sunday. We could have gone whale watching but let's be honest ... we're old and damnit, we're tired.



So instead we decided to stay here in Reykjavik and explore. Yes, we spent our first day here but, due to our exhausted state, that wasn't exploration, that was a zombie crawl.



At the end of the day we are very happy with our decision. Reykjavik is a pretty little port town with colourful houses in the Newfoundland tradition and lots of resturaunts, bars and of course tourit shops. And yes, we shopped. What the fuck, we are, after all, tourists



We got to see some of the city's historical landmarks, like the Parlmiment building (recognized early on by the stench ..no wait, that would be Ottawa) and a little area of buildings dated from the 1800's







We actually began the day by visiting a local flea market. This was about as untouristy as you can get. It actually reminded me of the Heights, back home. Those who don't know, will be saying "Oh, how quaint" Those who do know will be saying "Crap, really?"



For lunch we ducked into an English style pub. Yes, I went to an English pub in Iceland. Hell, I go to English pubs in Toronto, they probably are not authentic either. But I did have an Icelandic beer. OK, it was an India Pale Ale. But it tasted different from those I drink back home so perhaps it actually is authentic.



In all it was a very laid back day, just ambling around the town, no particular plans and avoiding steep hills and anything with too many stairs. Ah, perfect.



Tommorrow we visit the Blue Lagoon. This is an Icelandic spa that seems so posh I can't help but think I'll be tossed out ... If it's posh, why the fuck would they accept me?



Don't answer. That was a rhetorical question. Ahem



In all liklihood this will be my last post from Iceland. It's a sad thing to contemplate. It's not sad that I won't be communicating from here to all the people I pretend actually read this thing, but sad that we will be leaving.



We've seen a lot of this remarable country but I know there is so much more to experience. I suppose that a good trip is any that you are relunctant to end.



By that standard, this has been a very very good trip




No comments:

Top Blogs Pets

Add to Technorati Favorites