Sunday, February 21, 2010

GOD AND HIS FALLEN ANGEL MELT THE ICE



"Clapton is God" Famous words supposedly scrawled on a London wall after a Cream concert in the 1960's Is Clapton God? Probably not, I think he's too laid back, but he probably could play the soundtrack

If Clapton is God, Jeff Beck is a Fallen Angel. Lucifer? Well, his music is spooky, other wordly, and could easily convert you to a different order of thinking

Both of these musicians are connected. Both played guitar with The Yard Birds, at different times. Both come from that tradition of blues-inspired rock rock that pretty much defined the popular music of the sixties and seventies

And this Sunday both of them took the stage at the Air Canada Centre here in Toronto. The ACC is a hockey arena. The Maple Leafs play there. So it's a big place pretty much used to defeat and disappointment. But we did not leave the place disappointed. We left it in a state of euphoria, perhaps even enraptured ... OK, I'm finished with the cheesy Biblical references, I swear on a ..um .. never mind

This was the first time I've seen Clapton live but I've been listening to his music for a good chunk of my life, due in great part to the influence of my older brother Ed. To Edward, Clapton is God, sucker, and you best get on your knees and pay respect

My love for Clapton is perhaps not quite as resolute. Clapton played with John Mayall and the Blues Breakers and that was a unit that helped turn me on to the blues in the first place. I think his tenure with Cream was Clapton at his most creative. For me, the music that Eric and Jack and Ginger made still stands as some of the most creative rock ever recorded. It was psychodellic music, no doubt, but Clapton brought his blues passion to the band; they covered Spoonful and Crossroads, after all

Clapton's solo career is a bit hit and miss for me. Partly that is due to his eclectic nature. He has never rested on his laurels and he has explored a wide variety of musical styles; even when the style didn't work for me, I have to admire that. But his love for the blues has always been there with CDs like From the Cradle and Riding with the King, an absolute gem of a collaboration with B.B. King.

He has also covered and collaborated with J.J. Cale, another musical idol of mine .. Hmm, B.B. and J.J. Does Clapton have something for initials?

But no matter what style of music Clapton pursued, there is no doubt that the man is a great guitarist. I enjoy his vocals, and lately I've heard more passion in his recorded singing, but I always knew that watching and hearing the man play live would be something special .. and it was

Clapton opened with an acoustic set, including the unplugged version of Layla, which I've come to appreciate over time, and a couple of raw Delta blues. He covered some of his classics, like I Shot the Sheriff and Cocaine (by J.J. Cale) with arrangements that breathed new life into them. And hell yeh, the main can play. A beautiful tone to his guitar, and clean edges and a straightforward lyrical delivery.



Clapton did not open the show. That was Jeff Beck's role. Beck is special. Collette appreciates a good guitar solo, she loves it when B.B. lets Lucille sing, but she likes vocals and rarely goes for anything strictly instrumental. Beck is the exception. But like the King, he has the ability to make his guitar sing, you can almost hear the lyrics. He had a string section on stage with him and you swore that they were backing up a vocalist, not an instrumentalist.



But as good as each man's set was, it paled to what came later .. Clapton and Beck playing together. It was truly something special And in the time honored tradition of blues men, each player let the other take the spotlight, at times Clapton serving as lead vocalist to Beck's guitar, at other times the two players trading off solo's and a few times both guitars playing in tandem .. I swear, my hair stood up on my arms.



As you would imagine, they played some blues, some soul, but what I didn't expect what was their most effective duet: Moon River. No, I haven't gone insane (I've already been there for years) I am totally serious. Moon River. Beck sang this song, not with his voice but with his guitar, yes you could hear the lyrics. Clapton used his voice and he never sounded more soulful. It was a truly special moment in a truly memorable concert.

Is Clapton really God? Is Beck a Fallen Angel? I doubt it. But I'm ready to worship


ADDENDUM:

Since I wrote this post last night I've read some of the "official" reviews of the concert and the tour. It's taking a beating in the press



The main complaint seems to be that the performers, particularly Clapton, were too laid back and there wasn't enough fire works. Really? Each player individually had moments where the guitars got into scary high registries and you could see the Maple Leaf banners rippling. Together, I really thought they were going to tear the roof off the hockey rink



Beck is being criticized for paying too much attention to his upcoming orchestral CD (hence the orchestra) Two points: It's common practise for an artist to feature new music on a tour. Secondly, I loved that stuff; lots of guitarists can play loud and fast but Beck has an amazing lyrical ability to make that guitar sound like a wide variety of instruments, sometimes all at once. It's one of the things I always look forward to hearing (should that be "hear" forward? Never mind)



As for Clapton, yes, he's laid back on stage. Relaxed, composed, not needing pyrotechnics and histrionics to prove his point, he as a Stratocaster to do that for him. After all, he is Slowhand. He pretty much left his firebrand days behind him long ago, it's why he fits so well with J.J. Cale. I love Cale but his music is subtle, nuanced, and takes some attention to appreciate. And Clapton can still play hard, but you listen to him, not watch him; I admit his stage presence is not exactly galvanizing. But the music is there, the skill is there, and I think these two "old guys" together made for a pretty compelling show





No comments:

Top Blogs Pets

Add to Technorati Favorites