Tuesday, November 3, 2009

CITY DECORATES OUR HOUSE WITH YELLOW ..

As of this writing, the front of my house is wreathed with yellow crime scene tape, there are three police cars with their flashers on and my lawn is littered with car parts ..

No, I didn't finally lose it after watching Michael Jackson get called a "genius" just because he's dead, and going postal. Earlier today, I'm working here at home and I hear this loud crash, the windows rattle and it causes Terra to jump out of the window where she likes to nap. My first thought was the propane explosion last year that likewise rattled the windows.

What it was, was a car crash, that was actually something more. Our next door neighbour was turning into his driveway and was clipped by another SUV barrelling down the road at a high rate of speed. That car mounted the sidewalk, ripped across my front lawn, hit the street and skidded to a broadside stop, its rear tires blown and the entire passenger side smashed in. Three young guys got out and proceeded to fuck off down through the yards of the neighbourhood.

Luckily, my neighbour is fine but I don't really know how. Both vehicles are pretty wrecked and there literally are bits of cars all over my lawn. The speeding truck missed my nephew Jeff's parked car by inches; after he had the body repaired from being dinged up by a hail storm.

Cops were called of course and we learned that the SUV had actually hit a kid, a teenager, about a block away, by Glencarin subway station. I'm not sure of the status of the young person, but it doesn't sound good. But there is more to the story. These guys were running because they had pulled an armed robbery on a Money Mart. So they're running around my neighbourhood, with guns. The police suggested I not take the dogs down to the local park. Duh.

We seem to be hearing, now, that there may have been a string of robberies, and they have part of the nearby Allen Expressway shut off. They're still investigating the mess out in front of the house. Both vehicles are still out there and I was reprimanded for "stepping on evidence" which turned out to be a tire skid mark.

It makes me angry. All this chaos. For what. I'm no stranger to crime, I'm no stranger to criminals. I understand some of the motivations that put people in these situations. I've committed crimes myself (more than the torture of grammar I submit my readers to here) but I never indulged in crimes of violence. A kid is seriously hurt, maybe dead, my neighbour could have easily been seriously hurt, my street looks like a bomb went off there .. for what? How much fucking money did these guys get? I just hope that they don't create anymore chaos as they run around out there with guns.

So here we are, perfectly safe in our house. Well, not really safe. Instead of the girls getting their customary 90 minutes of exercise in the park, they got 40 minutes of me kicking the soccer ball (under helicopter spotlights) in the yard. So I have a pair of under exercised border collies.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

No comments:

Top Blogs Pets

Add to Technorati Favorites