Friday, December 26, 2008

CHRISTMAS

Yeh, yeh, yeh, it's been a while since my last post. My business has a large seasonal element to it which means the month or so before Christmas I am editing into the morning hours and dodging the whining calls from my studios on the cell phone.

Christmas also means our travelling season is upon us. Collette gets a couple of weeks off for the Christmas holidays and since our families live in different cities, we usually spend a good percentage of that holiday on the road.

In the 25 years that Collette and I have been together, we have never spent a Christmas by ourselves, in our own house. Look, for me, being as atheist as one can get, the only significance Christmas has is a calendar date to get together with our families so it is something I look forward to. Still, it would be nice to spend at least one Christmas in the city where we actually live .... or some southern resort getting sun burnt and getting some rum-inspired tattoo I just know I will regret later.

The other significance Christmas holds for me, is that it's the anniversary of my mother's death. This is not a sad occasion. Ma has been gone long enough, now, that I can use this time to remember her, the person she was, the major influence she was in my life, and how much I miss her.

Which brings us to this Christmas just past. Collette's father, Nick, has just moved into his new condo and although he has a room mate, Fred, it's his first Christmas without his wife. There was not going to be a big family gathering this year so we wanted to go up and at least cook the old guy Christmas dinner.

So up we go to Parry Sound. This winter our entire country has been inside a giant snow globe of crazy weather but if you want winter, go to the Canadian Shield. I cut a little video (at the bottom of this post) that will give you a brief a glimpse of a true Ontario Christmas ... even if one day was more snow than rain.

There was no room for us at Nick's place but luckily his old house had not closed yet .. but it was empty. So we packed up our double air mattress, one of my small monitors and the Xbox I got for Christmas, loaded up some DVDs, a couple of games, some beer (you knew there would be beer didn't you?) and set ourselves up all comfy.

Collette spent a lot of time with her dad and Miss Hayley and I tramped around town, taking video and playing with the ball and exploring the Fitness Trail. Christmas Day Collette did the chef honours (being back north always brings out her domestic side) and we had a quiet time with Nick.

We didn't get to spend much time with the rest of the family as they live 40 minutes away from Parry Sound and the weather was sketchy. But the purpose of the trip was to spend as much time with Nick as possible, which worked out as his room mate, Fred was away for his own Christmas day.

So, a quiet day, without the usual chaos and clutter, giving something to someone who needed it, even if it was just company, some attention. For a guy who doesn't believe in Christmas, that works for me


Untitled from Victor Kellar on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Fenway said...

I just found your blog through Border Wars and have to tell you about a coincidence...

Since I have a BC, too, I searched and found your post "Why My Dog Doesn't Pee in My Shoes" from May. This morning, I just planned out a new video using that same music Bang on the Drum All Day...a funny counterpoint for a dog who is perpetually into everything and always on the job.

And yes, I know that soulful look, deep into my eyes. They know. We call it The Look Of Love.

Victor Kellar said...

Thanks for the response. It is always nice to connect with fellow Border owners because you really understand ...

We call Miss Hayley our drama queen. When she really wants something, she doesn't bark or paw or pull at you, simply puts her head onher paws and sighs and huffs and very quietly whines as if she is stoically enduring this terrible burden I place upon her .. that being the burden of not getting her own way all the time

Fenway said...

Haha....funny. That would make my Fenway the Drama KING. He goes into a downward facing dog yoga pose and does a loud, extended groan of frustration. Only then does he take it to the max (in case we didn't notice) and continues with a Miss Hayley-style pout.

My question is ... how did this dog get so savvy in a mere 15 months???? He's still a pup ferchristsake!

Victor Kellar said...

They seem to come out of the womb fairly fully realzied; I've had lots of dogs in my life, different breeds, we even had a border/lab cross, but Hayley seemed to have the sharpest, most well defined instincts of any dog I've ever had. I guess that's the working dog breeding but these are working dogs made to be the boss, so maybe that explains it

Top Blogs Pets

Add to Technorati Favorites